Adolfo Cambiaso – one of the world’s best polo players and friend of Princes William and Harry, has created around 100 clones of his favourite horses to ensure he continues to have the very best horses on the pitch.
Some of the cloned horses will no doubt be competing in the sport later this year and will feature in the polo world’s ultimate polo tournament – the Argentine Open of which Cambiaso has won numerous times.
The 38-year-old Argentinian millionaire, polo superstar and sometime model, owns a polo club just outside of Buenos Aires and began cloning in 2007 after he had to have his star horse, Aiken Cura, put down. At the time this created much debate and controversy amongst the polo community. However, Cambiaso went into partnership with Alan Meeker, 48, a Texan oil tycoon, who had bought the cloning technology.
Due to the extent of the cloning, many believe that entire polo teams could be riding clones from a single pony within a few years.
Meeker said in a recent interview that he had cloned one of Cambiaso’s ponies, a tetchy animal called Lapa, and invited him to Texas to see it.
“Each of the three [clones] pinned their ears back and lunged at him, which is exactly what the original does. He said ‘Alan, they’re identical.’ He didn’t realise the personality would transfer as well,” Meeker said.
Meeker said however, that not all the clones will perform in the same way as the parent and much of their success will depend on their life experience. This seems to support the theories of nature versus nurture and that even though they are clones each will be slightly different due to its own individual experiences and the way it reacts to it.
But the question remains, will his cloned horses enable him to secure another victory at the world’s greatest polo tournament this year? Will Adolfo Cambiaso be able to “clone” his past victories? Or will the current new “King” of polo, Facundo Pieres (current world polo number one) beat him again this year?
- Learn to play polo and relax in a little bit of paradise outside Buenos Aires from US$375 per day (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Experience polo paradise from US$375 per day (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Argentine polo legend Mariano Aguerre back in saddle after knee injury (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Learning to play polo (oscarmanciniwindsor.wordpress.com)
- Polo superstar Nacho Figueras will make his polo comeback this weekend after his injury (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Bringing home a pony? (labravapolowindsor.wordpress.com)
- BREAKING – Wellington Polo Star Nacho Figueras Back in Saddle! (gossipextra.com)