During the latest session of the World Heritage Committee, held in Cambodia in late June, Iguazu Falls park was named Outstanding Universal Value by UNESCO.
Iguazu National Park, one of the new seven wonders of the world, was honoured by UNESCO to be named outstanding universal value, i.e. an area of natural and cultural significance that is so exceptional that it transcends national boundaries and is a site of importance for present and future generations of all humanity.
The Iguazu Falls parks (both the Parque Nacional Iguazu in Argentina and the Parque Nacional Iguacu in Brazil) retina one of the largest and most spectacular waterfalls and rapids systems in world, coupled with nearly 3 kilometres of subtropical forest. These lands safeguard over 2000 species of plants, over 400 species of birds and 80 species of mammals and countless invertebrate species.
According to the report presented to UNESCO, the effective management of these protected areas has helped to mitigate the possible negative effects of surrounding land use and contributes to the idea that this land will maintain its value as a protector of many species of flora and fauna found typically within this area.
The report says that for this to be sustained and furthered in the future, it would be useful to work on the concept of creating one binational park between Argentina and Brazil (rather than having the two separate parks as there are at the moment). Meetings to discuss the development of a binational park has already begun with talks between President of the Board of Directors of National Parks in Argentina, Carlos Corvalan and with the Head of Iguacu National Park in Brazil, Jorge Pegoraro.
- Garganta del Diablo waterfall at Iguazu Falls re-opens today after flooding (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Iguazú Falls: One of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- More than 740,000 tourists have visited Iguazu Falls this year despite the floods (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Football legend Maradona says “Iguazu Falls are majestic” and superior to Niagara Falls (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Feeling adventurous? Then go offroad and explore the jungle of Iguazu Falls by 4×4 (looksouthtours.wordpress.com)
- Iguazú Falls: One of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World (annaselundberg.com)
- Iguazu Falls: One of the World’s Seven Wonders (diaryofanairling.wordpress.com)
- Iguazu Falls Park closed due to flooding with thousands of locals evacuated (msamba.wordpress.com)